Mount Ida at Alfred State
Saturday, October 28, 2017 * 1 p.m. * Pioneer Stadium
History between Teams: 1st meeting
Players to Watch:
Mount Ida: QB #3 Mike Pina, RB #5 Kolbie Humble, WR #12 Nick Hewitt, OLB #10 Josh David, DE #46 Charles Wade
Tale of the Tape:
Alfred State: 0-7 (0-4 ECFC)
Offense: 12.4 ppg & 242.7 yards per game (100.9 rushing and 141.9 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 33 for 101, 4th Down Conversion - 9 for 16
Defense: 34.4 ppg & 412.4 yards per game (185 rushing and 227.4 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 40 for 87, 4th Down Conversion - 6 for 12
Turnover Ratio: +1 (9 turnovers/10 takeaways)
Offense: 16.9 ppg & 283.6 yards per game (145.6 rushing and 138 passing), 3rd Down Conversion - 30 for 101, 4th Down Conversion - 11 for 27
Defense: 26.7 ppg & 330 yards per game (215 rushing and 115 passing)
Turnover Ratio: +3 (9 turnovers/12 takeaways)
Scouting the Pioneers:
- The Pioneers comeback at Anna Maria fell just short last week. The Pioneers trailed by 23 points in the 3rd quarter and rallied to cut the lead to 36-34 with a touchdown with under two minutes remaining in the contest. The two-point conversion was stopped and the ensuing onside kick was recovered by the AMCATS. Kiegan Brown had a monster game on the ground finishing with career high in carries (36), yards (235), and touchdowns (3). Hunter Evingham came off the bench and was 18 for 34 for 235 yards and two scores - his favorite target was Reice Woodward who finished with 93 yards receiving on six catches. Brandon Davis led the team with seven solo tackles while John Lauretti chipped in six (two for a loss).
- For his solid efforts last weekend, Kiegan Brown was named the ECFC Offensive Player of the Week. Brown has rushed for over 100 yards in each of the last three games.
- The Pioneer offense had its best day of the year last week. They accumulated 518 total yards, 29 first downs, and had the ball for over 41 minutes of the game. The team did not capitalize on all their chances inside the red zone scoring on 3 of 5 chances.
- With the exception of four big plays, the defense got off the field last week. The AMCATS were 2 of 9 on 3rd down and were forced to punt five times. The defense also forced two turnovers.
- Special teams will have to continue to improve. Big plays by special teams will key in the field position game vs. a team like Mount Ida that plays lower scoring games.
Scouting the Mustangs:
- Mount Ida was unable to hold on to a first half lead and fell to the visiting Privateers of Maritime (N.Y) 21-13 last weekend. The Mustangs offense was led on the ground by Kolbie Humble (73 yards) while Nick Hewitt and Oscar Lopez each hauled in four passes. Josh David continued to impress on the defensive side of the ball for the Mustangs with 10 totals and two forced fumbles on the afternoon.
- All four of the Mustangs ECFC games have been decided by eight points or less.
- The Mustang rushing attack features three freshmen. Kolbie Humble has rushed for a team high 363 yards on 93 carries, De"Andre Goldson-Fisher has 321 yards on 60 carries, and Marcus Mcbean has 228 yards on 51 carries. The team has rushed for 1,019 yards on the year and has passed for only 966. Nick Hewitt has caught 36 passes for 354 yards on the year.
- Josh David leads the defense with 66 tackles (41 solo) while Charles Wade leads the way with four sacks. The Mustang defense has forced 12 turnovers, including eight fumble recoveries.
- The defense has struggled more against the run, allowing an average of 215 yards per game.
Around the ECFC
Mount Ida @ Alfred State, Dean @ Gallaudet, Husson @ Anna Maria, Castleton @ Maritime
- Current Standings:
- Husson: 4-0 (6-1 overall)
- Maritime: 3-1 (6-1 overall)
- Castleton: 3-1 (4-3 overall)
- Mount Ida: 2-2 (3-4 overall)
- Gallaudet: 2-2 (2-5 overall)
- Dean: 1-3 (3-4 overall)
- Anna Maria: 1-3 (1-6 overall)
- Alfred State: 0-4 (0-7 overall)
Game Day Information:
- Live Stats: http://www.alfredstateathletics.com/sports/fball/2017-18/boxscores/20171028_d8ut.xml
- Live Video (Free SD/$5 HD): https://boxcast.tv/view/football-vs-mount-ida-657732
- Tickets: $5 for Adults, $2 for Seniors, Free for Alfred State Students/Faculty & Staff, and youth under 13.
- Tailgating in Lot 20 will open at 4 p.m. - Tailgaiting Rules and Regulations
Alfred State hits the road for the final time next week when they travel to Husson for a Noon kickoff.
Mount Ida host Anna Maria next weekend.