Each student athlete must meet academic requirements to be eligible for practice and competition.
In order to be academically eligible for practice & competition a student athlete must be registered as a full time student (minimum of 12 credit hours).
In order to be academically eligible for competition a student athlete must show they can be successful at four year collegiate coursework. Our students fall into these categories and criteria:
FIRST SEMESTER FRESHMAN:
- Admitted into a bachelor degree program
- For students admitted in an associate degree programs to be eligible their first semester, they must have a 75 or 2.1/4.0 high school average
- a 800 combined reading/writing and math SAT or a 14 composite ACT to immediately eligible their first semester.
- Incoming transfer students who wish to participate in intercollegiate athletics must have a 2.0 cumulative GPA for consideration.
- Must meet an NCAA transfer exception or not be eligible for competition for 1 year.
- Exceptions would include not being an athlete at the previous school, leaving the previous school academically & athletically eligible and being out of school for 2 years.
- Must show academic success at the previous institution(s) by:
- Being admitted into a bachelor degree program.
- For students admitted in an associate degree programs to be eligible their first semester, they must have an 2.0 cumulative average from the previous institution(s).
*First Semester Freshman and Transfers become Continuing Students after 1 semester.
(Students who have graduated high school and completed at least one semester at Alfred State.)
- Must be in good academic standing - 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Must be making satisfactory progress toward a degree– Passing 2/3 of attempted credits.
The NCAA also requires student athletes meet eligibility standards with amateurism, financial aid, recruitment and gambling.
More information about academic and other aspects of Division III eligibility can be found at www.ncaa.org or contact Alfred State’s Athletic Compliance Office: