Alfred State (0-1) at Hartwick (1-0)
2nd meeting, Hartwick defeated Alfred State 45-0 last season.
September 8th * 5 p.m. * Wright Stadium
|2017 Record (Overall/Conference)||1-9 (1-6 ECFC)||3-7 (2-5 Empire 8)|
|2018 Offensive Numbers||
76 rushing yds/game
299 pass yds/game
180 rushing yds/game
227 pass yds/game
|2018 Defensive Numbers||49 points/game
235 rushing yds/game
230 pass yds/game
64 rushing yds/game
234 pass yds/game
|Players to Watch||WR #5 Jalen Long||QB #15 Bryce Macina|
|LB #35 Brandon Davis||WR #9 Connor Darmetko|
|C #70 Devon Clark||LB #35 Mark Hackett|
|DB #32 Austin Parker||LB #42 Joshua Wilcox|
|DL #8 Joe Gibson||RB #22 Ronald Ballard|
Scouting Alfred State:
- The Pioneers couldn't get the offense going in the 1st half but were able to put together three scoring drives in the 2nd half in a 49-21 loss to UMass Dartmouth in their season opener. The Pioneer offense accumulated 375 total yards with 299 yards coming in the air.
- Jalen Long had a monster day for the Pioneers offense. He caught nine passes for 173 yards and a score. Dashown Wilson finished the day 16 for 32 for 299 yards and two scores.
- Newcomer Ronnie Clark was impressive as well. He had 17 carries, gained 50 yards, and scored on a 24 yard run.
- John Lauretti picked up right where he ended the 2017 season with a solid defensive effort. He was credited with eight tackles (3 for a loss) and a sack.
- Michael Zimmerman was another key contributor. He led the team with 10 tackles and punted seven times for an average of 37.9 including a long of 61.
- The Pioneers were slowed down by nine 1st half penalties and three turnovers.
- Winning the turnover battle and getting off to a faster start will be key to success vs. Hartwick.
- Hartwick won a tight battle over Wilkes 28-24 last week to open up the season.
- The Hawks have been primarily a passing team in the past but used a balanced attack (180 rushing and 227 passing) in their contest vs. Wilkes.
- Ron Ballard had a big game in the opener when he rushed for 173 yards and the go-ahead touchdown in the 4th quarter
- Bryce Macina passed for 227 yards and three touchdowns. He connected with Connor Darmetka and Dylan Mucci for 103 yards each.
- Mark Hackett led the Hawks with 11 tackles.
- Hartwick committed only three penalties last week and didn't turn the ball over.
Around the ECFC:
Alfred State: 0-1
Anna Maria: 0-1
Games this week:
Friday 9/7: Mass Maritime at Maritime & Anna Maria at Nichols
Saturday 9/8: Alfred State at Hartwick, Western Connecticut State at Dean, Gallaudet at Greensboro, Husson at U of New England, Castleton at Fitchburg State.
Game Day Information:
Up Next: Alfred State host the University of Rochester next weekend for a 1 p.m. start while Hartwick travels to King's College.